On this Date in...
- Low Water in Indian River | Sitka Nature on Why no ice on Indian River?
- Walk to Totem Park | Sitka Nature on Chilly March Day
- Walk to Totem Park | Sitka Nature on Great Blue Heron
- Indian River Ice and Snow | Sitka Nature on 5 December Photos: Indian River
- Chilly March Day | Sitka Nature on Why no ice on Indian River?
- Cold morning, but no frost on windows-guess it has now dried out enough for the dew point to drop lower than the temperature. 1 month ago
- Early Crocus-My dad’s garden notes have crocus blooming in same spot on 31Jan1985-but10F the next week was a killer. http://t.co/QkvM0Mtjkb 1 month ago
- It’s been a warm January in Sitka. Trolling old records, 1981 was the last comparable year (even a bit warmer then) wunderground.com/history/airpor… 1 month ago
Tag Archives: Herring
Over the past couple of decades or more, sea otters numbers have increased dramatically in Sitka Sound. When I was growing up, I don’t remember seeing any sea otters until probably the early or mid-90s, and that was up close … Continue reading
Connor fishing for herring from Sage Rock, April 2011 It’s not quite the official beginning of winter, but planning for spring is already starting to occur. Today Pacific Herring were in the news, so I decided to post a photojournal … Continue reading
This entry is part 63 of 133 in the series 2011 PhotojournalHerring spawning was taking place at Sage Beach. Connor joined the gulls in trying to take advantage of the opportunity, and managed to come home with several fish.
Somehow most of a month has slipped by with very limited posting, despite my intentions to keep up with nearly daily posts. I’ve started to fill in some of the missing days with photojournal entries (see side bar for recent … Continue reading
This entry is part 58 of 133 in the series 2011 PhotojournalSpent the morning on the Food Web Cruise fund raiser for Sitka WhaleFest. They asked me to be aboard as the bird expert. It’s typically an enjoyable ride on … Continue reading
This entry is part 55 of 221 in the series 2007 PhotojournalThe herring spawned on Sage Beach this morning. This afternoon I went with the photography class out on the boat toward where the herring fishery was taking place.