I was outside today and noticed a sizable flock of small birds that I was not able to identify moving from alder to alder. They would flit about in the tops of the trees, but I was not sure what they might have been finding there. A little later I happened to walk back toward one of the large alders behind our place and noticed on the snow numerous little brown specks. Upon closer inspection, they looked like they looked like a mature version of what I had found in green aldercones earlier in the year. They were small, circular and flat with a papery margin and more solid middle. I suspect that the birds were going after the seeds.
On this Date in...
- Low Water in Indian River | Sitka Nature on Why no ice on Indian River?
- Walk to Totem Park | Sitka Nature on Chilly March Day
- Walk to Totem Park | Sitka Nature on Great Blue Heron
- Indian River Ice and Snow | Sitka Nature on 5 December Photos: Indian River
- Chilly March Day | Sitka Nature on Why no ice on Indian River?
- Cold morning, but no frost on windows-guess it has now dried out enough for the dew point to drop lower than the temperature. 1 month ago
- Early Crocus-My dad’s garden notes have crocus blooming in same spot on 31Jan1985-but10F the next week was a killer. http://t.co/QkvM0Mtjkb 1 month ago
- It’s been a warm January in Sitka. Trolling old records, 1981 was the last comparable year (even a bit warmer then) wunderground.com/history/airpor… 1 month ago