On this Date in...
- Low Water in Indian River | Sitka Nature on Why no ice on Indian River?
- Walk to Totem Park | Sitka Nature on Chilly March Day
- Walk to Totem Park | Sitka Nature on Great Blue Heron
- Indian River Ice and Snow | Sitka Nature on 5 December Photos: Indian River
- Chilly March Day | Sitka Nature on Why no ice on Indian River?
- Cold morning, but no frost on windows-guess it has now dried out enough for the dew point to drop lower than the temperature. 1 month ago
- Early Crocus-My dad’s garden notes have crocus blooming in same spot on 31Jan1985-but10F the next week was a killer. http://t.co/QkvM0Mtjkb 1 month ago
- It’s been a warm January in Sitka. Trolling old records, 1981 was the last comparable year (even a bit warmer then) wunderground.com/history/airpor… 1 month ago
Category Archives: Mystery
The gulls are on the move. While it’s possible that they are just moving locally, starting to gather in greater numbers along the shores road system where I can more easily observe them, I kind of suspect some of them … Continue reading
Walking through Totem Park this morning, I noticed that Indian River is quite low. I guess I’ve not paid close enough attention to say if it’s as low as I have ever seen it (it’s not quite as eye catching … Continue reading
Swan Lake was frozen enough to walk across today. I was intrigued by the bubble patterns shown in the photo. I don’t recall noticing any like that before. I wonder how they were formed. At least in one case it … Continue reading
Winter Moth aka Bruce Spanworm (Operophtera bruceata) Last week I spoke with someone who had recently been fishing up in Icy Strait. He mentioned that there were many storm-petrels attracted to the sodium lights on the boat (which is pretty … Continue reading
Yesterday I noticed several Sitka Alder with new leaves. Some of them were clearly still developing, and given the lateness of season, I thought this seemed odd. I am guessing the warm August/September (so far – though it seems to … Continue reading