On this Date in...
- Low Water in Indian River | Sitka Nature on Why no ice on Indian River?
- Walk to Totem Park | Sitka Nature on Chilly March Day
- Walk to Totem Park | Sitka Nature on Great Blue Heron
- Indian River Ice and Snow | Sitka Nature on 5 December Photos: Indian River
- Chilly March Day | Sitka Nature on Why no ice on Indian River?
- Cold morning, but no frost on windows-guess it has now dried out enough for the dew point to drop lower than the temperature. 1 month ago
- Early Crocus-My dad’s garden notes have crocus blooming in same spot on 31Jan1985-but10F the next week was a killer. http://t.co/QkvM0Mtjkb 1 month ago
- It’s been a warm January in Sitka. Trolling old records, 1981 was the last comparable year (even a bit warmer then) wunderground.com/history/airpor… 1 month ago
Category Archives: marine
Click on image for full size version See below for update Last Sunday I took these pictures of cormorants on a rock at the junction between Krestof Sound, Nakwasina Passage, and Olga and Neva Straits. At the time I didn’t … Continue reading
South Guibert Islet (downloaded from Alaska ShoreZone) Today someone on Facebook shared a link to the NOAA ShoreZone Press Release announcing all of Southeast Alaska had been imaged for the ShoreZone project. This project had the goal of flying over … Continue reading
This fall and early winter it has seemed like few days on the water very nice, and as a result I’ve been thinking that this year’s weather/sea state has been worse than last year’s which, for some reason, I remember … Continue reading
Examples of Brown (Ochrophyta) and Red (Rhodophyta) seaweeds While writing the post about Sea Otters I was reminded that despite having good resources for getting started, I still hadn’t managed to get anything up on the wiki about algae, marine … Continue reading
Over the past couple of decades or more, sea otters numbers have increased dramatically in Sitka Sound. When I was growing up, I don’t remember seeing any sea otters until probably the early or mid-90s, and that was up close … Continue reading
This entry is part 63 of 133 in the series 2011 PhotojournalHerring spawning was taking place at Sage Beach. Connor joined the gulls in trying to take advantage of the opportunity, and managed to come home with several fish.