Mushroom Recovery

A couple of falls ago, I found the mushroom pictured above. It was growing on a long-stranded drift log at the end of Totem Park (now well away from the high-tide line). I noticed how dessicated it looked, and figured the recent dry weather had dried out the cap as it was dying back, so instead of the usual disintegration into a spongy/slimy pile, this one was going to turn to leather, at least until the rains came.

I was a little surprised when I returned a three days later to find the mushroom looking fresh and lively after recent rain. I would not have guessed that it had been so dried-up looking a short time before.

I don’t recall whether I collected any of these or not, but regardless, I don’t have an identity for them, but I suspect they may be a Galerina species.

About matt goff

I am an aspiring naturalist who seeks to learn all that I can about the more-than-human aspects of this place that is my home.
This entry was posted in fungi, identification and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply