Baby Bear Lake

Located at in a saddle on Starrigavan Ridge at the transition between forest and subalpine meadow, Baby Bear Lake is a great place to visit on a warm sunny day. The snow-melt fed lake is pleasantly cool after the 2000 foot hike from the valley below, and the lakeshore meadow is just right for laying in the warm sun while drying off.

I was first told about the lake by Wolf Corduan some years back. Although as far as I know, there is no official name, he gave me the name Baby Bear Lake (which had been given to him by someone whose name I don’t remember) and I have used it since.

About matt goff

I am an aspiring naturalist who seeks to learn all that I can about the more-than-human aspects of this place that is my home.

This entry was posted in hiking and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Baby Bear Lake

1. Eric says:

I love this lake. I always used to walk by without going down to it, on my way up to the peak and the lake a little higher up. But this one is way nicer for swimming. What a gorgeous place. I find myself looking around, thinking I’ve just seen a hobbit move in my peripheral vision.

2. matt goff says:

The mix of straight trees, krummholz, and variously vegetated open areas around the lake is really fascinating to me; definitely hobbit-looking country.

I didn’t actually swim Friday, but I went up to about my neck and also dunked my head in. The upper lake still had quite a lot of snow at its edge, and it was getting pretty late, so I didn’t do any more than wade in the shallows this time.

3. Walt says:

Wolf is married to my cousin, but I heard about Baby Bear Lake through your website years ago, awesome place, and thanks for the photos. I need to make it back to Sitka soon!

4. matt goff says:

That’s an interesting coincidence! I heard about the lake from Wolf because of a website he had some time ago. I can’t remember if he had pictures of it, but we corresponded a bit via e-mail after I found his site Sitka photos while I was in graduate school in Washington.

5. Bryan Whitson says:

What a beautiful little lake. In one of your pictures I thought I noticed a little stream feeding the lake, or is that snow run off? The reason I ask, is I’m curious as to whether or not there are any trout in the lake. Either way, I have to do the Starrigavan ridge hike and see this little gem first hand.

6. matt goff says:

It is a little stream, but basically it’s from snow run off. I wouldn’t expect there to be any trout in the lake. It’s fairly high up and too small to fly in to, so it seems unlikely that anyone tried to stock it with fish.